Monday 2 April 2007

Standard Nerds

I was getting my hair cut this weekend, when I noticed an unusual increase in the nerd population of the CBD, more unusual still, it was daylight. So an increase in the nerd population, in the middle of the day and not just among the comic-book-guy look alikes at the arcade across the road from liquorland, at least it used to be across the road from liquorland until they moved. I guess the clientele of the arcade were scaring away their custom. This to an ordinary person would seem suspicious if not down right frightening if they weren’t in possession of the knowledge that a video games conference called GO4 was currently in progress a short walk from the CBD.

Well nerds dressed like ordinary people were walking around carrying MSI promotional bags, probably containing a hat or T-shirt and some marketing material, I don’t know, I was not in possession of such a bag. As I was getting my hair cut, talking to the hair dresser as you do, the topic of the MSI promotional bag came up. “Who are MSI” she asked in idle conversation. Now despite being a hairdresser this girl was quiet astute and I would not use the term “mentally deficient” to describe her. So I replied “Micro Star International, they make motherboards”. The look on her face wasn’t quiet confusion, more of a confused surprise that I was able to respond rapidly to that question. I doubt she knew any more about MSI them when this conversation began but I assume, given the fact she knew what I do for a living that she was able to put two and two together.

Now remember, the first rule of geek club: nobody talks about geek club.

I quickly attempted to change the subject without making it too obvious as this conversation quickly heading towards vapidity. I then explained that there was a video game conference on at the convention centre and these bags were merely promotional material hoping to bring this conversation to a rapid and total conclusion. Then the worst possible scenario happened, she asked if I was planning to go. Now at some point in the past I was planning to go to GO4 but as the actual event came around I found that I couldn’t justify going, in fact I just couldn’t be arsed.

Second rule of geek club: if anyone is talking to a girl, geek club is over.

Rather than tell the truth about my intentions and later apathy towards aforementioned conference I lied. I said that I had been working since 6 am (it being 12:15 PM by that point) and that I was planning to do a bit of shopping. It was a lie but hey, it was either that or I have to find a new hairdresser next month.

Third rule of geek club: if its your first time at geek club….

No comments: